Sunday, December 23, 2007

Half of a Year

It has been 6 months since Aunt Katie passed. Her "anniversary" always seems to be around some special day. 12 days after she died, it was Independence Day. 6 days after her 3 month death anniversary was Julie's Wedding. 4 days after her 4 month death anniversary was her birthday. A few days after her 5 month anniversary was Thanksgiving. And now, 2 days after her 6 month anniversary is Christmas Day.
Now in 9 days, it will be a brand new year. A year that Aunt Katie has never and never will live in. I don't want that! I don't want to start a new year. I still want it to be the year that she was living and breathing in. The year that I talked to her in. I do not want to start a whole year without talking to Katie. I miss her so much. It has been so difficult for me to go 6 months without seeing her. I can only imagine what 6 years is going to be like.
On Thursday, I went to my moms counselor. Well, now she is mine too. She did an activity with me called EMDR. I am not sure exactly what it stands for. Mom, help me out. :] But this is what she did. She started tapping my knees and told me to close my eyes. Then she had me think of a sad event in my life, (I chose the death of Katie). Then she had me think back to that very day when John called to inform us of her passing. Then she told me to just relax my body, and say everything that is going through my mind, whatever I was thinking. The tapping of my knees was to get the left side and right side of my body to combine. It started to put together my emotions and my feelings together, and it stopped the part of my mind that blocked things. It kind of stopped the thinking part of my brain, so I wouldn't think "Oh, that's not important, I won't say that" It made it so that I would just say everything.
It made me feel better. It was supposed to not erase my memories, but make them so that whenever I think of them, I will make them positive things, not negative. She said that we will do it more too.
Then she taught me how to talk to Katie. She told me to stop thinking and close my eyes. Then she asked me if there was anything I wanted to know from Katie. I said "If she is OK and safe". Then the counselor told me to keep my eyes close and in my mind say "Katie, are you OK. I need to know" Then I listened, and I do strongly believe I heard Katie. I don't care what you think, if you are skeptical or think I'm crazy, but I strongly believe I heard Aunt Katie answer me. she said "Yes I am. Don't Worry about me. I still love you so much" I felt relieved afterward. Think what you think, but I believe it. And I have used this technique many times since then. It seems to work.

:]

Peace, Love, and a Merry Christmas,
Kayla

3 comments:

John W. Evans said...

Kayla,

I'm glad to hear that you like your new doc, and that the work you are doing together is helpful and meaningful. I think the 23rd will be an important date for us for a long time. Maybe we can find a way to celebrate the date--since it's so special, to make it something positive? I dunno. I was sitting around tonight in the Mayer house and someone put on that Austin song by Blake Shelton, and I thought of how Katie liked it. Sometimes it's nice how she is everywhere, even when it's hard, right?

Well, keep up the solid work here, Kayla,

Love,
John

Jenn said...

Merry Christmas, Kayla. Don't worry, I talk to Katie all the time...and I believe she is listening, too.
Big hugs to you & your family!!

Kelly Luce said...

Kayla,

It's crazy, isn't it, what the absence of just one person means. Katie especially had a way of impacting people she hardly knew. I only knew her for a year or two, really, but her death has changed a lot about the way I think and the way I live. Thank you for sharing what she meant to you, someone so close to her for so long.

On another note--please please keep writing! You are able to express some beautiful, difficult things on the page--your thoughts on the new year, your description of the psychiatrist visit...maybe this is cheesy, but really, you are giving a gift to everyone who reads this (including my parents, and a couple of friends of mine who are strangers to you, but who want to know about Katie and what she was like). So, thanks. Katie will be there for any of us to talk to, I think, and I don't think she'll care if it's 2008 or 2088...we'll always be able to say, 'it was just this lifetime that I talked to Katie in person!'

Kelly