Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Florida

Well, I'm officially home. It was a long and stressful 4 days - but it still was good.
Thursday we didn't get in until 9 p.m. so we didn't have time to do anything.
Friday we woke up and went to the beach. It was my first time on that beach after Aunt Katie's death. Meaning the last time I was there, I was with her. Emotional - as you could have thought. I remember almost not wanting to go, because of that. But I still went anyways... and it turned out great. That first time my toes sunk into the sand, I felt free. No worries, no anger. It was an indescribable feeling. I remember the whole weekend I kept wishing my cousins were there. >_<
-Story: When Hannah was young, and it was our first time going to Miami to visit Katie, my mom kept talking about going to "Miami" as if it was "MY Ami". Now, Hannah will say "Remember when we went to Your Ami Momma?" or I would ask her "Are you excited to go to Miami" and she will reply "No It's Momma's Ami". Hah.-
Kay, back to Friday. When we finally arrived in Miami, we got calls from everyone saying they were going to be late, when we rushed to get there. Figures. But it was great weather! So then we get to FIU campus and can't find room 555. :) Then when we find the room, we are last to arrive. but okay - right? The board meeting was good. I have to say, it was kind of boring at times. But it picked up alot too. Then the actual event. It started out pretty much just blah. There really wasn't anything for me to do, except meet a few strangers, and some people I had met once or twice from our previous times in Miami. But it's all good. I like meeting new people. (: Then the slideshow came on. And all tears broke loose. I held it together until like 3 pictures in came on the picture we took last Easter 2007. It was me, my mom, and Katie all laughing hysterically at something. I LOVE that picture. Then the picture came on of her signing "I Miss You" in sign language. I couldn't hold it. I dug my head into my mom like a 4 year old and started balling. But I still watched the pictures of my aunt going by. I've realized that now I LOVE saying "My aunt" She was MY AUNT. Of course, she was my cousins aunt too, but she wasn't my friends aunt or anybody elses aunt. She was mine, and I'm glad I had her. She was too good a person to miss out on.
Saturday we went to the storage locker in Miami. It was okay. VERY sad, yet happy. Well, maybe happy isn't the right word, considering how is it possible to be trully happy when you are going through your aunt's possestions, when she is 'moved on' - dead. Then we had to walk down to their old appartment. We couldn't pass up the opportunity. But we didn't get to walk ALL the way down, because we 'had to go to lunch' when lunch was right around the corner. But whatever. After lunch, we started on the long drive back up to Stuart Florida. That drive I actually rode with John, Uncle Ed and Joe. It was a uhm... interesting drive. John said he and Joe were obnoxious, but I really didn't notice. Haha. THEN! When we got to Stuart, John announced his new position in California. He had told me earlier in the car, but I had to act surprised. So when he said it to the rest of the 'crew' I screamed "OH MY GOSH! I NEVER EXPECTED THAT!" (: Good cover right?
Sunday we pretty much sat outside in the pool and hottub, then we went to the beach around 4. It was a very relaxing day.
Monday was our last day. The morning grandma, my mom, Linda and I woke up at 7 and headed to the beach. We walked a total of 4 miles that morning. We walked where Aunt Katie, my mom, and I walked 2 years ago. Also known as where Katie rescued a live full grown Horseshoe Crab. It was a sight to see. Later on, we went to the Oceanographic Center, where we fed stingrays. That was fun. It was VERY frightening to be holding the shrimp in your hand, watching the stingray coming towards you. But their barbs were clipped. The instructor said they clipped them every 12 weeks, but it's in my nature to worry. I kept thinking "What if this is the 11 and 1/2 week? Then there must be a barb!" Haha. My mom even knew I was thinking that. It's just in me. I got some pretty awesome pictures. I will put them on here once I upload them, and I will put on the videos too. Once we got to the airport, stressing that we were going to miss our plane, they said it was delayed an hour. Great! So our plane didn't leave until 8:20 p.m. so we didn't arrive in Milwaukee until 10:21 p.m. We gained an hour crossing the time border.
So now I'm home again Tuesday. We were all sooo tired. I didn't wake up until 9:45, then I went back to sleep. (:

2 comments:

Judy said...

Kayla, what a great post. I feel like I'm reliving the weekend all over again. And the pictures are wonderful. On the beach, it really did feel like Katie was "there" almost like you could feel her in the wind and the warmth of the salt water spray. So free and wild and life giving.
Thank you for sharing your time with me.
Grandma

Kelly Luce said...

kayla, i really liked this post. my favorite lines are:

"She was mine, and I'm glad I had her. She was too good a person to miss out on."

sometimes it's hard to tell the truth in writing, but there, i think you got it right on.